Thursday, August 16, 2018

DNA Results #2 - confirmation of... the same unexpected result?

As I mentioned before, I went and splurged on a 23andMe DNA test to correlate with the Ancestry one.   I did this because my DNA breakdown from Ancestry didn't match my expectations:
  • 75% British/Irish (the Donahue and Hall lines, plus Bradish)
  • 25% French
But the Ancestry results were:

  • 91% Ireland/Scotland/Wales (59%) and Great Britain (32%)
  • 9% everything else.
But the mapping of that 32% ALSO seems to include parts of France, particularly Normandie where I know is the origination of most of the French ancestors.


Probably not surprising (given that there's like little room for error in the DNA test itself), the 23andMe results are in line with the Ancestry ones:

  1. British and Irish:   86.5%
  2. French and German:  6.8%
  3. Broadly NW European:  5.6%
  4. everything else (European):  1.1%
So, lumping all of the non-British/Irish together, that's 13.5%, a little more than only half what I expected.

This leads into the whole "was Célina Boulé" actually an Irish adoptee hypothesis.

If she is French, then the 75/25 expected split is still there: there's just not enough English/Irish in the more distant ancestors to make up a 1/8th discrepancy.

BUT if she's Irish: then 13/16 of my 4th-generation ancestors are British/Irish = 81.25% and everything else is 18.75%.   Given that we know that SOME of the Québec/Acadian ancestors married non-French people (not many, but a few), then we START to get closer to the stated results.

The other thing that's cool about the 23andMe results is that their reporting is more in-depth:

Maternal Haplogroup:  J1c1

This mostly stems from central Europe, the Balkans and the Ukraine.   But I suppose it would extend to France to.

Paternal Haplogroup: R-S15280.1

Very, very Irish.

I'm also more Neaderthal than 68% of 23andMe customers!   Yay!

I was able to get Dad to do both Ancestry and 23andMe tests.   Results pending.   I did this because it will also help with the "is Célina Irish" test since it will let me immediately distinguish for all of the identified "distant cousins" that both sites offer which SIDE of the family they're on (if they're distant cousins of both Dad and me, then they're on the Irish side, otherwise the French/Irish side).  

Hopefully enough of these distant cousins might clump in THEIR overlaps to suggest who Célina really was.

No comments:

Post a Comment