Thursday, August 16, 2018

Where things are now...

I've (finally) finished the first- and second-generation Acadiens.

Whew!

This was a lot of work, because most of my typical work flow had to be adjusted: the LaFrance doesn't have the Acadian records (since they only map Québec parishes).   Ancestry has some of them (many of them were destroyed by the British at one time or another).  While there are records for Beaubassin, Port Royal, and Grand-Pré, other locations had no records at all.

Fortunately, I found a web site with the Port Royal records neatly organized by family name and date.

But the abundance of gaps, combined with the entire population of French Acadia being dispersed in the 1750s made things hard to follow:  many went to the British colonies, others to France, and others to other French settlements: Louisiana, Québec or places like Miquelon (where I was also able to find some records).   At first I was puzzled by those who went to New England, the Carolinas, etc.:  why would you leave a British take-over of Acadia to go to another British colony.   Then I found out that most were forcibly deported TO those places by the British with the idea that the displaced families would re-integrate --- the attempt was made to send them to somewhat rural places (e.g., western Massachusetts); however, most didn't stay there and moved to the cities (which the British tried to avoid).    Things were particularly awful in the case of Québec City: an outbreak of measles became an epidemic, and hundreds of people died around 1757-1760, with entire families being wiped out.

Another situation happened while trying to determine if spouses of family members I was researching were also distant cousins (which with the Acadiens was extremely common: consanguine marriages of the 3rd and 4th degree were prevalent): in one case, the spouse ended up having a HUGE family tree archived on WikiTree: we're talking several THOUSAND people hitting pretty much every since royal family in Europe and aristocracy galose) - so that took several weeks to map.   (I would've quit, but my OCD kept me going, and I figure that it'll eventually come in handy if I ever get a breakthrough on the Irish parts of the family tree!)

So, now I'm going through all of the WikiTree entries for the direct descendants, filling in the blanks and getting a sense of what will be involved in finishing up the first- and second- generations mapping for the pre-Québec families.   That'll be the last "phase" of this project.

...  Then we start the third generation with (by my estimate) about 8-9,000 families to map.

Given that it took over three years to get this far, it might be 2021 or so before I'm finished with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment